FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2022]
Old Jun 22, 2022, 2:32 pm
PanAmWT

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by greenpau
HUCA - there is so much confusion on this point now. They get lost in their agent internet site, called Wingtips, and confuse all the various scenarios. I am realizing now that half the time I am kept on hold for 20 minutes it is because an agent is poring through Wingtips.
It would be nice if we could preview Wingtips for our specific situation, and direct the new (or fake) GS agent to the relevant paragraphs to save everyone's time. Or if there might be some insiders who could address some of the most frequent controversies, like whether the pushed through UG is limited to one segment only. I guess UA wants to hold their cards close to chest, but I don't understand why they want to do that against supposedly their best customers.

In late 2020 I had an interaction with a veteran male GS agent, who retired from Army after decades of military service. He was pretty bored not getting a call all day, so we had a conversation of almost 10 minutes on various things in life, like how to compare serving in Army versus for UA. I bought a one-way F ticket SFO-HNL and asked him to push through an upgrade for my wife from Y. We were able to get IN seats on the return. I already posted the experience in FT at that time, and am now posting it again below:

He said something like the following:

Only one way flight? I will not ask how you return to SFO. There are lots of empty seats so UA will allow me to upgrade her. UA has told us how you guys trying to book two one-way tickets, in order to avoid the limit of pushing through only one way in a RT ticket. You guys are smart but UA is smarter. They know all the tricks you guys do. But we have been told by the company to not enforce all the rules now, so I am very happy to be able to help.