FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Overnight / lodging suggestion for Sfo-pdx drive?
Old Jun 21, 2022, 1:32 pm
gaobest
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
When will this be?

I've done this drive (or something like it) so many times that I really can't recall. I MUCH prefer the coastal route, even though it takes 3-5 hours longer than I-5 wheels turning. I detest the Sacramento and Rogue Valleys (Medford et al) in the summer; it's too damn hot usually.

If you want to go the inland route, then I'd overnight in Grants Pass, unless you want to try to find someplace in Ashland. Ashland is cute but is inundated with culture types due to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival that fills every bed all summer long. Map - https://goo.gl/maps/o73cPCgzTHtg1kVq5
thank you! mega appreciated.

We will overnight in grants pass and then drive the next day to Portland :-)
we are going soon… tomorrow! Via 5 because it’s still 6-1/2 hours
once we leave grants pass, we drive to Portland and then to a beach! It’s big for a traveler like me.
we drive back next week.
medford Hilton honors were all booked - due to Ashland?
I need to follow a route for our return.

i posted this on Monday yesterday because we decided this yesterday.

thank you for the 101 idea. It’s 90 more minutes. I’ve punted the map choices to my spouse. 6-1/2 hours versus 8 hours. Bleck.

did I say we are doing this because a car rental is $1100 and flights are $1500? Maybe flights could cost less but the car rental cost is pretty hard to downgrade.