FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
Old Jun 21, 2022, 12:24 pm
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by jason013
1. I am not certain if I should be going to BA or Finnair for this claim. The flight number is BA, and on FlightAware it shows BA metal. However, on flightradar24 it shows that the flight is usually operated by Finnair metal.

2. Is there a way to find out the reason of cancellation before submitting a claim or should I just go ahead?

3. Since the cancellation came with such short notice, we had to rebook (at our own expense) a Wizz Air (BUD-LTN) flight at a high cost for the same morning just so we could make our connecting flight back home from London. Aside from the standard EU261 compensation, would we be entitled to request compensation for these alternative flights, plus the transportation cost from LTN-LHR?
1) BA
2) It's just still in the system, you best ask as soon as you can. It's OPEY, operational and Yes to EC261, I suspect that means a staff shortage cause, but not one ordained by the airports. You don't actually need to know, other than to perhaps save yourself some bother if the cause was hopeless (e.g. ATC strike related), since it's up to BA to prove the merits of their case, not for the passenger.
3) Did you call BA and request rebooking? If not you may be in trouble with this one. BA needs to provide a rebooking for this flight, and the CAA advice is "same day flight". The Monday flight is available via the Disruption page, so you didn't have to accept that, but they could have rebooked you on other airlines over the telephone. So the details of exactly what happened and when matter, since BA may be able to say "you didn't give us a chance to resolve this". In which case BA won't pay the Wizz flights - not that they would have booked them anyway but they would have booked Lufthansa for you among others - and so you may have unintentionally left yourself out of pocket. All the more so if Heathrow had enforced the cancellation, since they you wouldn't have gotten EC261 either.