FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund
Old Jun 21, 2022, 1:14 am
mjack99

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, CCR; Marriott PFL, Ambassador; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tosaerba24
My experience: I have booked without issue on the US website twice using my UK credit cards and just inputting my friend's address in the US as a billing address.

I also had a $9.80 USD trip credit which I wanted to use on a domestic US booking. Interestingly, the trip credit was the result of a change to a EU-US booking, which I had bought on the US website. An agent over the phone told me that flight credit resulting from bookings ex-EU (even if bought on the American site) could only be used on itineraries priced in EUR and ex-EU; however, it is true that the European websites do not show the option to add a trip credit. But since I could use the US website even with my UK card, I just booked on the US website, inputting the trip credit number and paying with my UK card.

Do you see your trip credit in EUR or USD? My advice: try to use it on the US website and put a friend's address as a billing address if you need to pay with your Belgian card.
Thanks for the great suggestion of using a US address and I will try that in the future. However, for this voucher, I just tried to use it on the US website and could not. Funnily enough, the flight this credit is associated with was cancelled in January, and only yesterday I got a paper ticket (yep the old fashioned paper ticket) in the mail. It has 3 different 13 digit numbers on it and I tried them all several times before I noticed the words "Not Usable on AA.com" on the voucher. So back to the phone lines (which took 2 hours to call me back yesterday and after speaking to an agent for 2 minutes automatically put me back to the beginning of the queue).

Originally Posted by Smiley90
I don't know the answer to this, but can you buy AA gift cards using a belgian credit card? That might be a workaround...
Indeed. I might try that if I get desperate enough. Thanks.