FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - WestJet strategy shift [was B787 Order Cancellation]
Old Jun 20, 2022, 8:05 pm
Error 601

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Originally Posted by FlyerJ
It’s all “leisure, leisure, leisure" now. As another post said earlier, the strategy sounds like they now want to become to Alberta what Transat is to Quebec..
I understand that perspective, but I'm not convinced that is the wrong strategy from a pure survival perspective.

The death rattle of Canadian Airlines was an aggressive expansion into Asia, a partnership with American/OneWorld and an emphasis on business class if I recall correctly - all ultimately felled by the Asian financial crisis.

I don't think it is the right time for WestJet to do any of those things. It might be unambitious but it also doesn't put the airline in existential danger.

Originally Posted by FlyerJ
Interesting. IMO, WestJet’s Premium is just that. It’s AC J level comfort, a nice (but not AC) level of service and on-board offering, all at a lower price than AC J. I have never, ever paid for AC J — I’ve only flown it thanks to upgrades. I have frequently flown WS PY … paying for it out of my own pocket. WestJet’s PY is the right product for me, at the right price.
When I was pricing it out the only time there was any discernible difference in price was when one fare was flexible and the other wasn't. I didn't have a chance to take one of the cheap YYC-YYZ Dreamliner flights but I was perfectly happy with the PY on the 767 back when I was traveling to the UK regularly.

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
They are going to serve with 737 MAX aircraft to people who care more about price than aircraft type.
Or they might have to choose between WestJet's narrowbody, Air Canada's narrowbody - which may include the MAX, Air Transat's A321 or some European narrowbody.