FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA ground staff at LHR: Summer '22 strike threat suspended after deal agreed
Old Jun 20, 2022, 2:19 pm
FlyingNowhere

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Confus
The problem is that it’s an unequal marketplace. Airlines tend to hire the most staff in their major hubs, so BA in the UK would have a higher cost base than a carrier based in a low-wage (often also low-safety) economy. So without international regulation equalising price rises, your £50 to BA might only need to be £20 to another carrier, which skews the market.

I’m not saying wages aren’t too low, far from it. Just that it’s not as simple as saying we should all agree to pay more.
I agree with you and indeed that indeed is a more complex issue. And we already see that when you compare BA with the Middle East 3 who offer better food, newer planes, better films and so on. Essentially they don't really have to turn a profit and are have 'rich parents' who can support them, where the parents in this case are well off Arab states.

Other problem is consumers seem to have short memories. They take a flight with easybudget2jet airlines, loads of queues, loads of hassle, pay £35 for a cup of tea on board and then moan when bags are extra.
Yet when their next holiday comes around, they simply sort SkyScanner by price and easybudget2jet airlines are £10 cheaper than BA, so they fly with easybudget2jet again!

From what I understand the likes of EasyJet and RyanAir are actually some of the most 'successful' airlines out there - they generate far more profit/share holder return than the likes of BA. And as airlines are fundamentally businesses that is really all that matters to them. A few people bleeting on Twitter about long queues seems a small price to pay for record profits.

Increasingly there does not seem to be a very strong business model (in the UK) for those like me who are happy to pay a bit more for better service, because the low cost low service carriers are actually more profitable. (I think?)