FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Having Separate GE and Nexus Programs is a Bad Idea
Old Jun 20, 2022, 12:34 pm
atsak

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Originally Posted by DualityOfNam
I'm coming to the realization that having both GE and Nexus is a bad idea, as the pandemic has ever so clearly demonstrated. Meeting with both CBSA and CBP agents is just rubbish. Both sides have the data they need to decide without needing an agent from both sides present. USA and Canada need a single trusted traveler program. All that is needed is one agent, from either side, at any airport or border crossing to adjudicate the applicatoin. This nonsense border-only appointments needs to go.

If, or when, I get my Nexus renewal completed, I will not do this do this rubbish again. It's GE all the way. And I am a citizen of both countries.
What we have though is a joint program, which I will continue to participate in because it gets me through security faster and more easily in Canada as well as the US. In your case if you're in the Houston area as your profile suggests then it may not be as relevant as your travel may not follow primarily cross border. GE does not give you expedited Nexus processing in security in Canada (although they might let you in anyway), and in the current circus that has meant hours saved in my case.

Also GE doesn't give you land border access to Canada using Nexus lanes but similarly I suspect that's less relevant for you.

I agree though that they should trust each other and just let one side or the other interview (after appropriate vetting of course) just to save resources especially given the current backlog.