FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta Pilots Write Open Letter to Customers re RecordTravel Demand
Old Jun 18, 2022, 6:40 am
jetsfan92588

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by emma dog
Assuming you mean Ukraine, I agree with you 100%.

Our current inflation rate has little to do with US government policy. Oil and grain shortages are from the war. Microchips and other items are from Chinese COVID policies and shipping bottlenecks. Rising Wages are from our low labor force participation and low unemployment rate. Healthcare inflation is the result of a longstanding national nursing shortage. Etc…
Naming one factor in these complex problems does not negate other factors. Definitely, chip shortages were exacerbated by COVID policies in China, but they are also a direct result of more demand, also caused in part due to COVID. Since you mentioned U.S. government policies have little to do with this, I'd specifically point out that U.S. trade sanctions on Huawei also specifically increased demand. (BTW, I'm certainly not arguing that it was an incorrect decision, but it did and does have measurable impact).

I'm not saying the U.S. government did or didn't do anything wrong or should or shouldn't have done something specific, but I think it's a bit disingenuous to say that the U.S. government policies have nothing to do with these issues. BTW, not enacting rules/taking actions is also a policy.