FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated FRA connection time/logistics-Domestic & International
Old Jun 16, 2022, 7:20 pm
NewbieRunner
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Well said -- but an hour and 10 minutes on an incoming clean flight to get from Z to B -- I'd still say that's very doable - but given the current state of FRA it's worth it to look at other options....
There’s a lot of difference between SFO-FRA-EDI connection and SFO-FRA-NCE connection.

When discussing connections in FRA we need to consider:
1) what procedures (i.e. passport control, security) are needed
2) gate locations of arriving and departing flights

For US > FRA > Schengen (e.g. NCE) connection passengers must clear passport control
For US > FRA > non-Schengen (e.g. EDI) connection there is no need for passport control
So in theory SFO-FRA-EDI connection should be easier/quicker than SFO-FRA-NCE

SFO-FRA flight is likely to arrive at a Z gate
FRA-NCE flight is likely to depart from an A gate
FRA-EDI flight is likely to depart from a B gate

US is a “clean” country for security purposes meaning there should be no need for transfer security for passengers arriving from the US
Z > A transfer does not necessitate transfer security
But due to the layout of the airport Z > B transfer normally necessitates clearing transfer security
Skyline shuttle between Z and B is considered “unclean”
Hence my comment in my earlier post about a direct bus transfer between Z and B, which removes the need for transfer security

Confused?
All this (and more) explains why the FRA connection thread in the LH forum is still going strong after 6000+ posts.