View Single Post
Old Jun 10, 2022, 12:14 am
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Or maybe you shouldn't?

I got an upgrade at a BW hotel I occasionally stay at and it was horrible. Yes, the "suite" room was bigger but it was very poorly maintained. The air conditioner didn't work (it just blew room temperature air), there was no hair dryer, there was no soap, etc, etc.

Then the next week at the same hotel I wasn't upgraded, and everything in the room was exactly as it should be. I liked that a lot more than the upgraded room the previous week.

So it sounds like with decreased housekeeping staffs many hotels these days, some hotels don't service less-used rooms like upgraded rooms as well as they service frequently-used rooms like normal rooms.

Also, in general, I found that when I check into a room can matter as to whether I want a true upgrade. Even when everything works, many "suite" rooms do not have air conditioning which can keep up with bigger size of the room, and so if you check into a room late and want to cool down the room quickly, the smaller the room the better actually. On the other hand, if you check into a room early and can have many hours to get the room to the temperature you want (and more time to make sure everything works!), there may be way fewer downsides to being upgraded.
It does seem that some more basic/cheaper hotels which rarely sell the suites — but sometimes provide them as upgrades — seem to get less housekeeping than they need. And this problem indeed seems to have gotten worse over the years, especially as cutting housekeeping hours/costs has become ever more in focus for hotel owners/management. This “not cleaned as often/extensively” problem is also becoming more of an issue in mid-upper and even some upper-market properties. Unfortunately, this problem is not limited to just one brand or even one market.