FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA can no longer compete in Brasil if connecting from GRU or GIG
Old Jun 8, 2022, 3:10 pm
dcpdxtrans

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You're interested in a (RT) ticket USA-GRU-XXX or USA-GIG-XXX, where your destination XXX is a smaller airport in Brazil.
XXX=FLN, which is an intl airport. I've flown there too many times to count. I've never seen this before.

(It's not your question, but have you checked fares if you transfer from the international GRU/GIG airport to the smaller domestic airports in Sao Paulo or Rio?
Have not. And would not.

When you look at the fare calculation for a dummy booking, is USA-XXX pricing as a single fare component or does UA want to write the ticket with a broken fare, so that you're really paying for one fare from USA to GIG or GRU and then a second fare (as if you were purchasing a stand alone ticket separately, but apparently on the same PNR and with the same ticket number in this case)? In other words, does UA publish a fare from USA to XXX (as a legal routing)
It's a legal routing. Fare shows USA-FLN. However, I almost always get a PNR for the foreign carrier portion, but I feel like I always do.

To me, the price difference you're seeing looks suspiciously like a full fare domestic ticket for nonresidents of Brazil.
For the intra-Brasil flight, using G3, it is showing in the A bucket (which means nothing to me as a foreign carrier). Ironically, the UA RT ticket just went up another $100 while the AA ticket went down $100. I think I'm done waiting for UA to get its act together...

UA might not have a partner in Brazil that serves XXX from the international airports GIG and GRU.
*A lost presence when O6 went bankrupt. I know AD was codeshare but that may have stopped. I say that bc I don't ever see tix with AD anymore. Indeed, UA has been using G3 mostly and LA less in the last few years with no price deltas that I am seeing currently