FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Grand Tel Aviv, Israel (formerly 'and Towers') [Master Thread]
Old Jun 8, 2022, 5:07 am
nachosdelux

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Sheraton Tel Aviv trip report: (sorry for the long read)

Booked 2 ocean view/balcony rooms, for 6 nights each in May 2022, at the AAA (cash) rate.

I used 6 suite upgrade certificates for one of the rooms, which was confirmed a few days prior to the stay, and the room was upgraded to a Junior Suite.

Arrived about 6pm on check in day, after a long, hot day of touring. Was not offered a cold drink at check-in (There was a stand with wine and water behind the counter - I would have asked but I did not notice it at check-in.)

Got to the room (junior suite) and was disappointed that the view was now of the street, and the triangle shaped balcony had 1 chair and was approx 3 feet (at the wider end) by 8 feet, and barely big enough for 2 people to stand (not large enough to fit a 2nd chair)

We were exhausted so I decided to talk to the front desk the next day. The phone in the room was dead and there were no washcloths. We went up to the lounge and I mentioned this, and she said she would have someone fix both issues right away. We got back to the room 90 minutes later and nothing had been done. I wanted to call the front desk to get washcloths - oops, the phone doesn’t work. So I used the chat feature and they brought some up within 10 minutes.

After breakfast (day 2) I went to the front desk and expressed my displeasure with the view/balcony. The agent said that all junior suites had a view of the city, and the check-in agent should have mentioned this (she hadn’t). I said I wanted a room with a view of the ocean and a useable balcony. He said he found a very nice room that would be available on day 3. I also mentioned that our phone was not working.

Day 3 - after another long hot day of touring, I stopped by the front desk to change rooms. The manager (Henry) said it would be 10-15 minutes until the room was ready. I said I would wait in my room and he said he would send the keys up. 45 minutes later (no keys), I headed down to the front desk (phone still not working) and Henry was MIA, so I spoke to another agent who gave me keys to a new room.

Went up to the new room to discover a nice sea view, but a smaller (club room) with a balcony with 1 chair. I went back down because i didn’t want a smaller room with a balcony for 1. Henry was not available so I was told to wait for another manager. While I was waiting, I witnessed the 2nd manager in a heated, loud discussion/argument with who I believed to be an upset customer. Turns out it was with another employee.

While I was waiting, Henry returned and we had a chat. I asked if he had forgotten about me, and he said another issue had come up. He said that no junior suites had a sea view and no larger suites with a view were available. I later looked, and they were available for sale, but not for upgrade, apparently. I asked about my (wasted) suite upgrades and he said they would be returned (they have not been).

Day 5 - pool closed at 3pm for a Sheraton corporate (employee) event. I was at the pool and was kicked out at 3. Loud party at pool that evening - we called front desk to complain and was told it would be over in 15 minutes. 2 hours later, party still going strong, called again - front desk offered us an invitation to party or a bottle of wine, I declined. Woke up to an email stating 5000 points would be given - never received.

check out - called front desk at 3:20am and asked for them to get us a taxi for 4 to airport in 20 minutes. Went downstairs 15 minutes later and front desk agent made a quick phone call (I speak enough Hebrew to know he was then calling the taxi), then told me it would be here in 5. He also stated the computers were updating, so he could not check me out until they re-booted, and it would be about 15 minutes. (I told him I was not waiting)

About 10 minutes later, a taxi pulls up, but the agent tells me that is not the taxi he called. I asked if this taxi could take us because he was here. The agent talks to the driver, comes back inside, and says no. I went outside and spoke to the taxi driver, and he said he could take us to the airport. He said he asked the front desk agent if we needed a ride to the airport, and the agent told him “no”.

We got in the taxi and left. Subsequently I have emailed the hotel and asked about getting a copy of my folio - no response (it is not available online)

There were a couple other minor service issues but I don't want to nit pick lol.

Rooms - we had updated room(s). On the surface they look nice. Both showers leaked (a lot). Shower water shutoff (it is a pushbutton on/off switch) malfunctioning - took 5-10 tries to shut off. The switches for the lights/outlets are a mess/confusing. Bed was firm but comfortable. A/C worked well. Quiet other than the pool party noise. Elevators are fast - no waiting. Gym decent. Nice pool.

Now the positives - great location, great lounge, great breakfast. Food/beverage/lounge staff were outstanding.

Last edited by nachosdelux; Jun 8, 2022 at 7:14 am