FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - International F service on AA
View Single Post
Old Jun 1, 2022, 11:20 am
FlyerBeek

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Well, pre-9/11 AA had a caviar cart (don't ask me what kind of caviar), and then a salad cart where they would make a salad to order with desired toppings, which ex-JFK at least usually included a chilled half-lobster protein option (back to NY was usually chicken). I don't think the main courses were any better or worse than they are now. Then there was a cheese and dessert cart, which I think included both ice cream sundaes and a cake/tart. (IIRC it was really "OR" not "AND", but if the FA was in a good mood they would give you both cheese and dessert). Unfortunately, the hard product was significantly worse back then - the 762ERs (and A300s/DC-10s IIRC, which were on their way out) were 2-1-2 deep recliners with 62" of pitch, so close to flat but not quite (you could sleep on your side but not your stomach), with pneumatic recline but electric legrests. The 763ERs had just installed flat bed "coffins" (also 2-1-2), and I think most of the 777s came with the coffins (2-2-2), although at some point there was a differentiation between the "atlantic" and "pacific' fleet of 772s, with the Pacific version getting the flagship suites, which is the prior iteration of the current 77W product. I think in the mid-2000s they upgraded all 772s to flagship suites (and angle flats in J)...
Great memory! AA's international F service was really good well into the mid-2000s. I was slightly too late for the caviar cart on AA, but I do remember the wonderful lobster tail salads departing JFK (both on transcons and international flights). One very minor correction... I believe the 772 "coffin" F seats were actually on the Pacific 777s. In reality though, Europe flights could wind up with either configuration. The 777 coffin F seats were finally retired sometime in late-2007, IIRC, but the seats themselves remained very similar to those in F on the 762 until they were retired a decade later. I think they might have actually recycled some of those seat components onto the 762 when the wooly mammoth F seats were finally phased out.

-FlyerBeek