FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dual citizenship. Boarding a plane to Canada without revealing canadian citizenship.
Old May 30, 2022, 11:59 am
guest666

Dual citizenship. Boarding a plane to Canada without revealing canadian citizenship.

I am a dual CAN/EU citizen and my EU country does not allow acquiring a second citizenship.

Before eTA was implemented, I have been very cautious and only used my EU passport to board all planes.

Now that eTA is in place, I can't board a plane headed to Canada without showing my Canadian passport.

My question is:

If the ticket is booked on my EU passport, and I only show my Canadian passport to the airline at the check-in, will this information leak into the Schengen/EU databases or is it something that stays between the airline and the Canadian authorities? Or is it just evaluated at face value by the person doing the check-in? This must be a very common scenario for dual citizenship holders, can anyone share their observations?

And while we're at it: does anyone know of any precedents where such inadvertent disclosure at the check-in has led to a loss of the second citizenship?

Thank you!