FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DIY Aqaba and Petra from Israel
View Single Post
Old May 30, 2022, 11:38 am
coolbeans202

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by iahphx
I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction on some trip planning for next month. It appears that Israel has suddenly eliminated its Covid entry rules, so I'm excited to be able to finally use my award tickets to TLV. After seeing the sights in Jerusalem and Tel Aviv, we want to travel to Jordan. I'm intrigued by the possibilty of making my way to Eliat (which I've heard isn't so great) to cross the border to Aqaba. I'm a Hyatt Globalist so I'd like to stay for a couple days at the new (and apparently) nice Hyatt Regency there, which is quite affordable (especially on points) next month. From there, we'd like to see some sites like Petra and Wadi Rum. I assume this is doable in an affordable manner? I've heard I can't drive an Israeli rental car across the border, but can I drop one off in Eliat and then cross the border and get to my hotel by public transport/hotel shuttle? Once I'm in Jordan, it appears that I can rent a car. That has appeal to me to see Petra and Wadi Rum, but is it relatively easy to do and a good idea? Would it be better to go with a tour, and how expensive would that be?

Thanks for any suggestions.
We did exactly this back in May 2019. Flew into TLV, rented a car, drove to Jerusalem, then Eilat. Parked the car at the border, walked across into Aqaba and the Avis guy met us on the other side and drove us back to the office to complete the paperwork for the rental. Drove to Petra, then stopped at Wadi Rum on the way back and reversed the process. Walked back across the border and got back in the Israeli rental and made our way back to Tel Aviv (via the dead sea). I think you can get Jordanian visas at the border, but we ended up getting them from the Jordanian Embassy in DC ahead of time. We weren't in Jordan very long (3-4 days) so we just kept the Israeli rental while we were in Jordan.