FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}
Old May 28, 2022, 8:59 pm
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 2ptraveler
RE: PP, I was told miles and PP are equal and then other qualifiers kick in, status, cards, spend,
Status, then fare class, and then the other stuff. The first two qualifiers break nearly all ties.

We flew Dec 2020 LAX-HNL and cleared the last 2 seats on a 772
Dec. 2020, with enforced quarantine / testing requirements, is a very different market than today is.

I wish they flew more DEN-HNL on the 772 or 77w that has the PP seating, seems like better odds to get something.
They still have a large subfleet of grounded 772s. That said, the difference isn’t as great as you’d think, because people are more willing to pay for the flatbed seat than they are the recliner. So, more seats doesn’t necessarily equate to more upgrades.

Thanks, What I'm hearing is that if the DEN-LAX (or return SFO-DEN) waitlist clears and the overwater legs don't, they'll still take the miles?

I thought the whole thing had to clear.
Correct. If either segment clears, the entire upgrade amount is deducted. There’s an exception to this rule for flights where one leg is marketed as Polaris (e.g., long-haul international). Hawaii flights don’t qualify for that exception, so if DEN-LAX or SFO-DEN were to clear, they’d charge you for the upgrade as if the HNL legs had cleared.

P.S. I'm sure it's been answered, but why are all these hub connect flights out of DEN to LAX and return through SFO?

Is it just the domestic routes that are driving this?
The fare rules will allow you to connect through either city, so any difference you’re seeing is due to inventory,