FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian Airlines (ADD layover)
View Single Post
Old May 26, 2022, 3:47 pm
B747-437B

Originally Posted by jugaadkabaap
I have 2 layovers in ADD (18 hrs, 5:55AM till 11ish PM) and another on return 9:30hr one (mandatory, 5:55AM to 3PM). I could cut my first 18 hrs layover to 3hrs at no extra cost (there's inventory available as we speak) and reach JNB early (more time for safari). Or I can maintain current schedule and take a gamble with STPC voucher just like you detailed earlier. Major question is does it makes sense or is it worth to take that gamble and explore Addis (hopefully) for an extra 12ish hrs . Or is it just enough to make use of the 2nd mandatory layover to get a local flavour. ?
I'd take the ET809 earlier flight to JNB on the outbound because that is ALWAYS a premium widebody (A350 usually) while ET859 is known to be sometimes substituted with a 737 depending on booked loads. 6 hours overnight on the 737 in Business Class has not been my favourite experience. I've actually done the opposite (taken a forced overnight to fly on ET809 rather than ET859) in the past simply to ensure the better ride. If you want to explore Addis, I'd do that on the return. You can get a fair bit of sightseeing done in half a day with an early start and return to the hotel by 1pm.