FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - $160 comp for downgrade F to Y ?
View Single Post
Old May 24, 2022, 3:37 pm
VegasGambler
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gig103
My friend's wife was flying home from the east coast and her Sunday flight was cancelled. She was rebooked on a Saturday flight (losing a day which she accepted) but they put her in coach without offering to wait for an F cabin or checking AA, their oneworld partner. She had to argue to waive the checked baggage fees, which they did, but after the flight they offered her $160 compensation for the downgrade. I don't know exactly what she paid for her ticket but I'm sure the Y to F difference was more than that.

Does she have any recourse for additional compensation, more in line with the fare difference or anything, now that she flew?
She is entitled to the fare difference between what she paid and the cheapest economy ticket.

Many airlines will try to rip her off and give her the difference between what she paid and the price of Y when they rebooked her. I really wish the DOT would crack down on this but I guess people don't complain to them about it enough. She should request the price difference at the time she originally booked.

And, it's not "compensation", it's a refund of the difference between what she paid for and what she got. Additional compensation would be nice but it's not required.