FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - First Long Haul for a Long Time - What to expect?
Old May 24, 2022, 12:07 pm
flyingmonkie

Programs: BA Gold
First Long Haul for a Long Time - What to expect?

So new job means that next week I am off to Austin for a week about which I am very excited (I have never been to Texas before). However this does mean I am going to be taking my first LH trip since pre-Covid and I'm wondering what to expect in terms of service. I will be in WT+ (mainly because business class to Austin is horrifically expensive).

From reading on here it sounds like catering and ? bar have much declined since "before times". I'm not overly fussy about food but getting almost business class grub for the main meal and a decent second meal on a 10 hour flight would be welcome... I also like to have quite a few glasses of red wine along the way... Do the bars remain open after service still?

Another (related) enquiry... I am flying to Pisa on the same day I get back from Austin. Land at 0950 and then depart at 1555. I live about a 25 minute taxi from Heathrow. I'm currently thinking that if everything is on time then I will go home and come back. Get a bath and a decent breakfast in. However if I'm delayed and decide to stay at the airport (will have luggage with me) then will I have access to the arrivals lounge at T5 (Austin flights are T3) as a GCH? If not, what are the showers like in the departure lounge at T5? I will have a case so will need to land myself and then travel between terminals that way, is the tube the best way?

I feel like a real n00b again having come from a place of flying long haul most weeks and knowing the process inside out!