FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DIY Aqaba and Petra from Israel
View Single Post
Old May 24, 2022, 6:11 am
iahphx
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAATM
The guy we stayed with in Wadi Run was named Obeid Alamemrah; you can google his Bedouin Life Camp up pretty easily or ping me for his What’s App number [img]blob:https://www.flyertalk.com/3a8e294a-6205-4fb0-b351-f591c2ac071f[/img]

taking an Uber from the Hilton Dead Sea to the Allenby Bridge was IIRC 10 Jordanian Dinar in total. Once you get your passport stamped you then need to board the government bus across no-man’s land, which probably cost another 10 JOD, but is worth every penny!!!

when you arrive on the Israeli side, it’s possible to grab an Israeli taxi cab and head to straight to Jerusalem without actually entering Palestine! Since Israel is expensive, I’d guess that that Israeli taxi ride would be $100+ USD.

instead we bought tix and hopped the motor coach to Jericho, where we officially entered Palestine and got stamped in. The rank and file stamping passports in Jericho were perfunctory, but the officers in charge welcomed the (few) tourists with open arms and bent over backwards to ensure the tourist got a proper welcome to their country. They are trying to win our hearts and minds to their side.

Traveling around the West Bank with our hostel guide was great, especially when he took us to the Walled Off hotel (Banksy the artist) for a look around.

yes, we felt safe and welcomed all over the West Bank, because we were in a private minivan driven by a local.

that said, Bethlehem was crawling with 50 person tour groups, mostly day trippers from Jerusalem, traveling in motor coaches and led by a guide with a flag or umbrella.

We were thrilled that we did the West Bank and Bethlehem “independently”, so to speak.
It's quite coincidental that you stayed with Obeid. After looking through the 100 well-regarded Wadi Rum camp listings, Obeid's camp was the one I thought looked best! I assume you liked it? I've contacted him to find out how much he charges for dinner and a jeep tour. Do you happen to remember the cost? For some reason, Obeid doesn't just want to tell me the cost in a reply to my booking.com inquiry, he wants to send me a whatsapp message.

Do you remember how much you paid for the taxi in Aqaba afer crossing the border from Eilat? The Hyatt concierge told me it's 13 JOD, which seems high in Jordan for such a short ride. Is it a haggle situation, or is the price fixed?

Your trip through the West Bank seems adventurous! I'm not sure I can convince my wife to take the public transport. I'm still thinking we'll head back to Eilat, rent another car, and see the Dead Sea on the Israeli side.We don't really have enough time to go up to the Jordanian Dead Sea and then head back to Eilat to go back up north on the Israeli side.

BTW, did you buy a Jordan Pass? I think I don't need one if I enter and exit from Aqaba because the visa fee is waived there. Right?