FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Getting first class rewards flights (I'm failing)
Old May 23, 2022, 1:25 pm
thijsseh
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by IntrepidAfrican2
None of the three daily to CPT (or four daily to JNB, or daily to DUR) were operated by SA. It was a codeshare.

Yes, capacity is constrained. A combination of constrained ops at DXB due to runway maintenance, and, I’m told, insufficient crew to operate the entire fleet.

From my own experience with that route, I would suggest the following to get the best chance of using Skywards to fly F:
1. Buy a J return ticket (remember that Special is not upgradeable and Saver only at check in, so it needs to be a Flexor Flex+ ticket to get the best opportunity).
2. Check beforehand if F awards are available on either leg (London/ DXB and / or DXB/CPT). Upgrades come from the same bucket as awards (Z in this case). Consider flying out of LGW or even AMS. I find LHR is much more difficult than LGW. AMS is even better, but of course requires a positioning flight.
3. I have found that more often than not you can upgrade the UK/DXB segment immediately. The problem is always the DXB/CPT leg. Only once (and quite recently actually) did I find a 'through upgrade LGW/DXB/CPT' available.
4. Keep watching for that elusive DXB/CPT upgrade to appear. Chances are that it won't, but I have almost always succeeded to get a 'space available' upgrade in the lounge.

Of course this way you spend more Skywards (two separate legs cost more miles than a through upgrade) but at least you can use them. LGW/DXB upgrade to F from a J Flex is 34000 miles I think so that takes care of most of your expiring 40K miles. And using miles to upgrade is in my view a better use than a straight redemption.

It works the same the other way around, I currently have a DXB/AMS F upgrade and am watching for the CPT/DXB one. If it appears I'll call EK and ask for it to be treated as a 'through upgrade', otherwise I'll take the hit and try the lounge. The flight is in 3 weeks time and is F4 A4, so I am hopeful.

Quite a few years ago, there were three CPT rotations: 772/773, 770/771 and 778/779. The latter was dropped long before the pandemic. Now we only have 772/771 which means that the aircraft does not do it's previous 2 hour turnaround but lands at 11:30 and stays in CPT until 18:30.
There have been regular rumours that the second rotation would be reinstated, but this has not happened, probably because of the runway maintenance at DXB and staff shortages. Also still no chauffeur drive in CPT, which is a pain in the neck. At least the lounge is open which is not the case in JNB.