FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Change Fees "Gone For Good"(WW ex-USA,non-BE), credit for lower fare!, Intl&BE waiver
Old May 22, 2022, 10:22 am
Mike Jacoubowsky

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
So if I have two itins coming up, both international, in July and late November, it sounds like there's no longer a reason to make the July a refundable fare, just the November, because the July fare, if I have to cancel that itin, can be moved to the November flight (cancel the refundable November flight and rebook). Only hitch is that the July flight is with a different second person than the November flight (son vs wife), and the only part of the July fare that I can re-use would be my own.

Second question, is there an issue with severability? Meaning, my son would still get to use his part of the July fare for a separate trip of his own?

Third question, what is the time limit for use of the original (July) cancelled trip amount? Is there a 12 month clock running? If so, does it run from the date of issuance, the date of cancellation, or the date of the original trip?

Added later- Some of my questions appear to be answered here; it appears that I have until Dec 31 2023 to use the funds (from Refund Form & Policies - United Airlines )
  • A refund may be requested for any fare that allows refunds. Depending on the rules of the fare purchased, a cancellation fee may apply. Most fares are nonrefundable, and are not eligible for voluntary refunds. However, the value of your ticket may be eligible to be applied toward the price of a new ticket for a fee. Tickets are valid 12 months from the day of ticket issuance, except for tickets purchased on or before December 31, 2022, which are extended from original date of issue to December 31, 2023. Travel must begin by December 31, 2023. Once travel begins, travel must be completed within 12 months from the outbound travel date.
Also-
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The "no-change fees" policy covers roundtrips and partner flights in eligible itins
So if I book an award outbound to Europe, and a paid return, the return is not covered by the new policies? It would still be subject to fees, probably $300 or so, unless I purchased a refundable fare?

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; May 22, 2022 at 5:43 pm Reason: Another question