FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA/Qatar Drama
Thread: AA/Qatar Drama
View Single Post
Old May 18, 2022, 8:37 pm
ryanbriar

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
The nuance here is AA's new JFK-DOH flight. I hazard the guess it's not happening in a vacuum, i.e. there has certainly been discussion between QR and AA with respect to AA's introduction of a direct flight in this market. Particularly with pretty much the exact flight times.
This is the very important nuance. QR basically swapped out their operated flight for the AA operated flight. In AA’s view, they are getting you where you need to go within five minutes.

I get that it’s frustrating, especially given the hype of wanting to fly the Q-Suites, but I’d say you need to monitor award space. Also, I think I mentioned above, but perhaps there is web saver F?

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The OP has been moved to another flight - one that is only 5 minutes different in departure time with an airline which they partner and codeshare with; it seems the most logical flight to rebook onto and provides minimal disruption to the passenger's scheduled travel

How is the passenger being left high and dry with being rebooked to a flight 5 minutes earlier than originally booked?
Putting aside the metal swap nuance, also this.

In general, you’re going to have a much better success rate when there’s been a massive schedule change. I lucked out on this once when using a SWU for LHR-JFK F. Massive schedule change would have left me leaving LHR several hours earlier to get the connection to BOS. The agent was nice enough to force space open on a direct LHR-BOS flight. I was subsequently told that this should not have been allowed, but at that point I was confirmed.

Originally Posted by Abidjan
Yeah, double whammy for me for my October MLE-DOH-JFK flight, paid J, operated by QR and ticketed via AA. For no reason, my evening QR MLE-DOH was moved up 10 hours to a 10 a.m. depature. AA says they can't move me to one of the two evening flights as the original fare code isn't available. Then, just last week, my QR DOH-JFK was changed to the AA DOH-JFK option. Obviously, AA says a full refund is in order. But my hope AA will eventually find inventory in either, or both cases, to restore my itinerary to the original booking.
This happened to me last week just before the outbound to MLE. Award F, but similar issue. Same flight number, but shifted from 7:30 pm to 10 am. No email etc. We were able to have AA put us back on the 7:30 pm via Twitter without issue (I also checked EF for space). In the event of pushback, I was fully prepared to let them know that a ~10 hour change was not going to fly. I would stress that the schedule change is the issue above all else and leave the AA-operated flight out of the equation for the time being.

Would you be able to take the refund and re-book to what you want, or has the fare difference jumped substantially?