FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA's Boarding Process with WILMA now - Inconsistent process / PreBoarding issues
Old May 16, 2022, 8:29 am
RobOnLI
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Again, this is down to the complete screw up of United's boarding policies in the first place. Most people hear "now pre-boarding for 1Ks" and they think it's Group 1. If United made GS/1K group 1 then current group 1 becomes group 2, etc. There are a million ways to fix this but maybe United just plans to get rid of 1K anyway since there's no such thing as a "hundred thousand miler" any longer for elite status.

Separately, yesterday I flew out of a FL station and the gate agent was VERY clear about pre-boarding and four people right in front of me were denied because they were not 1K. One guy scanned and then the GA asked if he was 1K and the guy said no. GA proceeded to de-board him and told him to go to the back of the group 1 line. Next was another single person who also said he wasn't 1K and got booted before scanning his BP. Finally, a couple right in front of me were trying to board and the agent asked if they were 1K. They had no idea what 1K meant and they were quickly shunned as well. As I got up to the scanner I thanked the agent for being proactive and she rolled her eyes and gave me a smile. As I walked through the door I heard her saying sternly over the loudspeaker, "Folks, if you don't know what 1K is then you aren't 1K. 1K is NOT group 1." Succinct and easy to understand. But admittedly this type of GA is few and far between and it's usually quicker to just let the errant person board who isn't 1K than to take the time to de-board them in the system.

-RM

Last edited by RobOnLI; Jul 12, 2022 at 9:04 am Reason: Spelling mistake