FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question about Open Jaw ticket bough via OTA
Old May 15, 2022, 3:33 pm
Cekky

Programs: Delta Medallion
Question about Open Jaw ticket bough via OTA

Hello fellow travelers.
This is my first post here, so please forgive me for any mistakes regarding the section.

For personal reason, I need to leave NYC to Milan on a Thursday, and being back in time for work the following Monday. The best way to optimize my time away is to board a direct flight from JFK to MXP with Delta (I am a DL FF), and leave with the latest combination possible on a Sunday. The perfect combination would be DL172 from JFK to MXP (early arrive in Milan), and then a weird combo AZ238 (new ITA) + VS25 with layover in LHR, allowing me to leave Milan at 4pm, being in LHR at 6pm, 2 hours layover, and then hop on the Atlantic Ocean at 8pm.

Now, this combination is not directly sold by no one of the carriers in play. Not even from airlines in codeshare (AF, KL, ...)
Long story short, I did some research, and for a reasonable price (nothing above $2k) I was able to generate this exact combination through Expedia - problem is, I had to generate a three-legs-multicity-ticket as follow:
- Leg 1, JFK to MXP, on the Thursday
- Leg 2, LIN to LHR, on the Sunday
- Leg 3, LHR to JKF, on the same Sunday.

Now, how does it work? Is there the risk that I get to Milan Linate, and they don't see my ticket with a connection in LHR? Does it appear as two separated flight, so at Heathrow I have to pickup the bag plus going through security again (yes, I know I have to go through security either way)? What if I travel only with a carry on? What about miles and status?

And last but not least: is it a good idea or it's just bs?

Thank y'all.