FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Strategy for Premium Fare DFW to Rome 2023
Old May 14, 2022, 12:25 pm
steveholt

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by jgump95
Where in FlyerTalk can I research the best way to get enough points for my wife and me to fly business class DFW to Rome in 2023? Return trip is Athens to DFW. I am only traveling domestic now either AA or SWA. No problem meeting minimum spend on a credit card or purchasing a higher annual fee credit card if that is the best way to go. Thanks!
You may want to read some of the primers on the blogs on Boarding Area (or other sites) to get a big picture view of how this stuff works. There are also plenty of miles consulting services who can help you use those miles once you get them.

The most reliable path you could find would probably be to work with the Avios families of cards through Chase. The British Airways card offers a 100K bonus, and the other Avios cards (Iberia and Aer Lingus) offer the same bonuses and allow you to transfer to BA. BA offers very good award availability in business class, although it comes with exorbitant taxes, some of which are offset by spend on the card. (AA obviously also flies out of DFW and would be a cheaper option with regards to taxes, but they don't open anywhere near as much space.) You could use SeatSpy to try to find availability on your flights in question. I believe the ticket would be 76K avios each way.

If you spend 30K on the British Airways card, you would get a travel together companion ticket, which would allow you to buy one ticket on miles and get the second ticket's miles covered for free. You would still owe taxes, and you would only be able to fly roundtrip as opposed to the open jaw you're suggesting, but it would be cheaper for you to use the companion ticket to fly DFW-LHR-FCO and return and just book a cheap ticket from ATH-FCO to reposition for your flight home.