FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What happens if you test positive abroad
View Single Post
Old May 9, 2022, 9:09 pm
snic

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by escog
Thanks for this. I was also about to buy a policy with travel delay coverage, but as you noted, it required a doctor's order or a government authorities' order to quarantine. In the event of the looser definition, I'm trying to think of how this would go. Let's say that I bring a self-test with me, and before I go take the official test, I use it and discover I'm positive. Do I then try to find a doctor who can give me a note that tells me to isolate and not travel? How do I find this doctor? Do I contact the concierge of my hotel (presuming there is one) and ask for a doctor? Perhaps, use the service provided by the insurance company for finding medical assistance? Would a doctor even want to see me and for what reason?

And, do I still need to take an "official" test before I contact the doctor? I would presume that this wouldn't be necessary and needlessly exposes others.
You absolutely do need to take an official test because what you will need to be allowed to travel back to the US is (a) documentation of a positive test, and (b) doctor or health official's letter stating you have recovered. Which apparently must be (c) 10 days after your positive test, assuming you don't develop symptoms. This is all clearly spelled out here.

To file a travel insurance claim, you would also need a doctor to officially tell you not to travel. Your personal doctor might be willing to do that if you send him/her your official positive test result. It's possible that an online service like the one I linked to above would also do it for you.