FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What happens if you test positive abroad
View Single Post
Old May 9, 2022, 8:54 pm
escog

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by snic
Yes - but be EXTREMELY careful and read the fine print with an eagle eye, several times, before you buy. And compare several different policies. For example, one policy I was about to buy said it covered expenses related to quarantine (extra hotel expenses, rearranging your flights). It had an extremely narrow definition of quarantine; basically, a government official or doctor would have to order you not to leave your lodging. A different policy, which I ended up buying, said that it would pay for these expenses if a doctor tells you not to travel. That would occur in a much broader set of circumstances, probably including testing positive before your return flight.
Thanks for this. I was also about to buy a policy with travel delay coverage, but as you noted, it required a doctor's order or a government authorities' order to quarantine. In the event of the looser definition, I'm trying to think of how this would go. Let's say that I bring a self-test with me, and before I go take the official test, I use it and discover I'm positive. Do I then try to find a doctor who can give me a note that tells me to isolate and not travel? How do I find this doctor? Do I contact the concierge of my hotel (presuming there is one) and ask for a doctor? Perhaps, use the service provided by the insurance company for finding medical assistance? Would a doctor even want to see me and for what reason?

And, do I still need to take an "official" test before I contact the doctor? I would presume that this wouldn't be necessary and needlessly exposes others.