FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 500-mile upgrades / stickers converting to Loyalty Points; discussion, options
Old May 9, 2022, 1:29 pm
bostontraveler

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by fastflyer
LP = Loyalty Points.

AA has proposed exchanging e500 stickers for LPs. But LPs reset every year, having no value beyond elite qualification in the current qualification year.

The e500s "electronic stickers" always had a concrete value -- they are non-expiring, paid by cash or via promotion, and they used to be exchangeable for RDMs (at least in my memory). AA really needs to permit e500 owners, regardless of current elite status, some method to convert these back into RDMs. LPs are not valuable for people who don't care about reaching an elite level, but who do periodically redeem AAdvantage miles for travel. That is probably the vast majority of the program participants. Many, many people have a balance of these e500s -- there may be more than 100 million e500s out there, touching nearly everyone in the program, so AA needs to think through this conversion thoroughly.

Most people don't follow closely the nuances of AA's program changes, but if millions of people wake up to missing stickers, they may not react well.
Thanks. I have long tuned out of AA... That said offering loyalty points (as I mentioned above) has to be the most absurd thing for lifetime Plat members…they could really do better- yet again. Aside from the occasional QR or IB redemption, their attractiveness to me has all but evaporated.