FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA/G3: JFK to Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Bolivia from $1212
Old May 7, 2022, 11:16 am
gnargel

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by planes&trains
Would you recommend any tour operator?
I used red planet expeditions. Recommended in the lonely planet too. Loved every minute of it. Not luxurious by any means though, although I even had a room with a shower during one of the two nights. Food was quite good too (vegetarian). Think it mostly caters to a younger crowd (at least the rest of my group was younger, but they were fun people).

Doing just a day tour from Uyuni does not do this place justice I believe. The rest is just otherworldly too. The landscape just keeps changing hour after hour and continues to be stunning.

Guide told me that they break even at four people and make a profit when there are five. Therefore, you can book with one operator, but end up going with another.

Also responding to Ezak: Looked to me like Uyuni is recovering rather quickly. The last night, my hotel was even overbooked (had nothing to do with Red Planet Expeditions, booked separately). I understand however that there are still much fewer tourists than there used to be. Kind of shows by the fact that there is now only one flight every three days from Uyuni, to Cochabamba.