FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA/G3: JFK to Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Bolivia from $1212
Old May 6, 2022, 8:52 am
gnargel

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by ezak
Note that Uyuni's good season is right now, between Dec to Apr. For most dates booked above, it would fall into their dry season and I would not recommend going there. Basically, you need rain water to cover the salt flat, for the mirror effect to show up. It's definitely a one-in-a-lifetime destination, just not something to be taken advantage of via this deal.
Just to add: Just finished a two night Salt Flat tour yesterday (so in May). Got to see the mirror effect and yes, that was one of the most beautiful things I have seen in my life. So not entirely sure that going after April is such a bad idea. Our guide told us that there is basically never a guarantee that you will see it (eg. If there is wind).

Also, the tour is so much more than just the mirror effect. The salt flat perspective photos, mars like landscapes, canyons, hot springs, geysers, flamingo’s, red/blue/green lakes, etc. All of which are much easier to see in the dry season. For example, if you go during the wet season, most tours - from what I understand - will stay one of the two nights in Uyuni (the city) and not two in the middle of nowhere (which I found to be amazing!).

Hope this helps anyone!