FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - But Seriously, Where Can I Stroll?
View Single Post
Old May 5, 2022, 10:32 pm
Palal

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by IggySD
What a great thread! I'm another who enjoys strolling around to see great architecture / explore in general.

Headed to Dar es Salaam in September and in my mind as well it has always sounded like a fascinating place. Are there any redeeming parts of the city?

Have been to a few other places where walking was perfectly fine and I never felt the least bit unsafe, but they weren't that exciting of a destination:

Djibouti - stayed at the Sheraton and the peninsula around is very walkable. The "downtown" district was bustling and worth an hour or so. There was also an area of quiet streets with nice houses, but it was very hot.
Dire Dawa - had intended to move on to Harar but as my bag was stuck in Addis I spent three days trekking back and forth to the airport as I was assured it would always be arriving on the next flight. There was somewhere along the way where I passed monkeys playing in trees so was always nice to stop and observe them. Can't really recall anything interesting about the town but people overall were friendly and may have been more interesting if I didn't have the bag issue
Saint-Louis - the most interesting of the bit, a lot of cool colonial architecture, a bridge constructed in part by Eiffel, good amount of tourism infrastructure due to the jazz festival. There was a bird sanctuary nearby I wanted to take a tour of as well but it was out of season.
Djibouti city is nice. I stayed at a local $30/nt hotel. The hotel was great, near a beach, but this was the first time I saw non-fully-desalinated water coming out of the tap. The Sheraton was $400/nt. Did not want to spend that. I have mixed feelings about Djib. The Somalis from Ethiopia and Somaliland were much more welcoming than the Somalis in Djib.

Dire Dawa - walked from the airport. Nice little railroad town (there was nothing there beforehand). Worth spending 2-3 hrs in, but not much more than that.
Harar in Ethiopia - worth a few hours to see the colorful buildings.
I'd say most of Ethiopian towns and villages are very walkable and the locals are quite friendly!