FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Champagne - Questions/Suggestions/Recommendations" thread
Old Nov 23, 2004, 9:45 am
gutt22

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by luxury
I was under the impression that Krug's "tete de cuvee" is the Clos de Mesnil and that Salon only produce a "blanc de blancs"?

Bollinger NV is under-rated IMHO; I also like Champagne Deutz.....
Deutz has been fabulous lately! The Bollinger NV is superb right now, too. Great blend they're working.

Krug also produces a Clos du Mesnil. Salon is blanc de blancs -- the only grapes grown in Clos du Mesnil, I believe, are Chardonnay. So both the Krug Clos du Mesnil and the Salon are blanc de blancs.

On the American front, I find the Domaine Chandon blanc de noirs better than the regular Brut. Even better, etoile, if you can get it where you are. Domaine Carneros has a super 2000. Schramsberg, to my taste, is overrated, particularly for the price. Roederer Estate might just be the best American sparkling at the moment. Their regular NV, rose, and L'Ermitage tete de cuvee are excellent. Mumm Cuvee Napa has slipped just a hair recently, though the blanc de blancs remains really nice.