FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA PHL-ABE/ACY (and others) bus services
View Single Post
Old May 3, 2022, 6:39 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by aztimm
Having rented vehicles from PHL and done security there a few times (I generally avoid it), I would say the ACY bus would be time/money well spent.
There are no reasonably priced gas stations very close to PHL. Last summer I exited somewhere off of the Blue Route and drove around in what ended up being a large circle until I found one.
I've also encountered the traffic jam/accident on the Blue Route while in a rental car, which resulted in missing my flight from PHL.

Overall, if you can return a vehicle to ACY or ABE, clear security there (that is a disaster on a good day at PHL), and arrive post-security, just having to make your way to a gate, then that is easily worth $50 to me.

I visit family in Northeast PA regularly, and will usually opt to fly to AVP or ABE just to avoid beginning the trip at PHL. I'll arrive at AVP and be at my gate in 15 minutes, or less. That includes parking/returning the rental car (there's a cheap gas station just the other side of I-81), checking bags, and clearing security. At PHL...on a good day that might be 30 minutes, but on a not-so-good day easily an hour to 90 minutes.
Gas is something you have to look for around PHL. There are stations near the airport, but you'd have to use a smartphone to map a good one along your airport route.

As a PHL O&D flyer, I'm only speaking from the perspective of a passenger with PreCheck. The curb to gate time for me is usually under 20 minutes - maybe a few minutes more if I have to do the self-luggage check in. I've NEVER experienced 60-90 minute waits. but I've had pre-check for 12 years, and I have seen very long lines at B (no PreCheck there) that makes me wonder why more people don't get PreCheck. I feel the same way when I see a line of cars at a cash toll booth when there are wide open lanes for EZ-Pass cars. To each their own.

If I were going up to NE PA, like the Scranton/Poconos area, I would also probably opt to fly directly into ABE or AVP if I was coming from far away. I still content that I can get to downtown ACY in 60 minutes from the moment I step into a car anywhere around PHL airport. Ditto for the return. 1 hour from AC to rental car/parking lot. The check in process will be dependent on airline and if someone has PC or not.

I'll be curious to hear any experiences once this bus service kicks off.