FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2150 Firearms
Thread: 2150 Firearms
View Single Post
Old Nov 23, 2004, 6:03 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
I was making a statement of personal opinion.

As there are guns on aircraft today, "fine, just sitting there":

How long until one accidently discharges?

How long until one passenger gets drunk and uses it for air rage?

How long until one passenger leaves it in the lav? (an FAM has done this) Or how about a passenger dropping it, the gun falling out of a bag? Speculation, yes, but:

Just because it hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean it won't.

Given time, it is likely to happen, as long as they continue to get through checkpoints. This shouldn't be happening and is a reflection of problems in the system.

Now, there have been no known incidents in recent years (that I am aware of) with someone discharging a firearm in a US aircraft. Being some are slipping through checkpoints, does that mean this trend will continue and they'll continue to be "fine - just sitting there"?

Last, what is scary is that individuals are still bringing firearms to airports. Of the ones caught, what's scary is the number of irresponsible gun owners. Any responsible gun owner should know not to take their gun to an airport (unless checking it as luggage, declared).

Best,

SDF_Traveler

P.S. Do you actually believe guns should freely be allowed on aircraft? (setting FAMs, armed pilots, or off-duty officers legally traveling with firearm aside)
For heaven's sake, we are talking about 1 or 2 out of a million passengers. That number of so-called "irresponsible gun owners" is vanishingly small. There are probably more than 700 child molestors on a plane each year, and I would be more worried about that than a forgetful gun owner.

We all know that guns don't belong on planes, so I don't know why you kept repeating that with bolded type. Of course, if guns don't belong on planes, why do we have FAM's?

Summary -- Guns don't kill people; people kill people.