FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Autoslash (General Discussion)
View Single Post
Old Apr 26, 2022, 4:46 am
AutoSlash
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by Justin Case
As a European citizen I just booked a Hertz rental in Europe trough Autoslash and Priceline.

When confirming my booking on Priceline and entering my details, it automatically said I had an US drivers license. When I altered this the booking page stopped. So I kept it as a US drivers licenses for my European rental.

my question is if now basic insurance is covered through hertz, since that is common practice for Europeans who have car insurance and not personal insurance.
I have an Amex Platinum for the rest, but want to make sure I don’t have a very bare rate which might get me in trouble during an accident.

already searched carslash FAQ, and made a dummy booking on Hertz to see if there are differences in coverage.
If you are covered through your Amex Platinum card for CDW you should be fine. Liability coverage is generally required by law and included in the EU so you should be adequately covered.

That said, it's still important to review the terms and conditions provided by the car rental company just in case there are nuances for the particular country/company you are renting from. For example, many rental companies in Ireland have more stringent requirements when using credit coverage. They may require a letter from your credit card company verifying coverage. Note that the rules are the same booking through a 3rd party vs. booking directly with the rental company.