FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Partner award flight; ticketing carrier goes out of business
Old Apr 24, 2022, 9:44 am
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I'm shopping about cases when the ticketing carrier goes out of business (but the operating carrier is just fine)

Is a ticket on, for example, an AA or JL operated flight, still valid if it's on CX ticket stock and CX goes out of business?
I understand. Some of the previous cases obviously involved both the flights of the dead carrier and flights on other carriers using tickets written by the dead carrier. However, the LCC/ULCC dead carrier cases wouldn't apply as those airlines didn't interline.

If a ticket paid with money wouldn't be honored, I certainly wouldn't expect an award ticket to be good.

However, if you believe that your CX miles will soon be worthless anyway, wouldn't the question be more about the risk of needing to buy a last minute replacement ticket or whether one should have a fully changeable or refundable alternative ticket in these circumstances?

I don't know whether having high status with AA of JL would matter, but it could help if the resolution is to permit otherwise stranded passengers to fly standby or to sit in economy despite having had a business class ticket. We can only speculate that if CX ceases operations, CX status would cease to be recognized by partners as CX would no longer be an alliance member. OTOH, certain other airlines could be eager to offer status matches/challenges and other gestures in an attempt to capture CX elites.