FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2022 Edition
Old Apr 22, 2022, 8:09 pm
NotHamSarnie

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by gavinpquinn
I've been flying pretty exclusively Delta First class for the last 10 years (except overseas I try to use Emirates, Qatar, Singapore, etc.).

I used to really enjoy first class:
- Nice / pleasant service (people would smile).
- Welcome drink on the plane
- Wine in bottles with GLASSES
- Snack baskets
- Hot meals (even if they weren't good, they tried)
- Silverware
- Placemats
- Mugs for hot coffee
- Separate service to select breads / buns / butter
- Multiple rounds of refreshments, and generally a good attitude by flight attendants.

NOW:
- Nothing on the ground.
- If "it's not too bumpy" the FA's come by and drop a cold box of gross sandwiches (if you are lucky) 45 minutes into the flight, and ask for drink orders.
- 30 minutes later if you are lucky, you get a glass of wine in a plastic cup.
- 5 minutes later they take away the boxes.
- The entire remainder of the flight they disappear and play games on their phones.
- If you are assertive, you may be able to walk up and ask for a refill of bad wine.

For the difference in cost from coach -> first class of usually $500-$700, you would think you could get a decent meal, a napkin, a glass cup, or something more than the 3" of additional legroom.

I am truly sorry that some passengers have been rude, and perhaps there is a worker shortage, and all sorts of issues. But it's honestly like they just stopped trying all together.

And NONE of these service items are related to COVID. It's quite clear that the virus does not spread on food, or glass cups more than plastic cups.

Sadly, there still isn't much better of an option, so I'll keep paying full prices for very sad service.
Hear Hear! I missed your original post until it was quoted today. I feel the same.

It's not that one expects Michelin-star cuisine in the air, but for people who have no option but to commute regularly, with some trips beginning after a full work day, and who want to make it just that bit more pleasant, and are willing to pay for F, DL is really falling short, under the guise of "health and safety".

With the sad boxes and pigs feeding at the trough out of paper and plastic, I just gave up. Last year I opted for AA which was doing just a bit better in that area. Of course, yes, schedule is the most important thing, but when it's much of a muchness schedule-wise, these things matter:

* proper glassware
* proper silverware made of metal
* hot food in crockery
* NOT a bloody sandwich and a bag of chips. Who eats this crap?

I'm not a PDB person but I can see that as important, too. Just bring them back already. I took a flight in F this month, thinking "normal" service had returned and was faced with a nasty bistro box which I declined. It's really unacceptable, and I'm back to AA again. Not that it's perfect, but it IS objectively better than DL's miserable offerings.