FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AS service in Bay Area Airports
View Single Post
Old Apr 19, 2022, 9:28 pm
mtofell

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by CalanMan
I think that this is an unnecessarily negative framing, but there's nothing ironic here. This is exactly what it means to have a home turf. From the PNW, they are offering a better (read: better tailored to the local market) product, with greater frequency, non-stop, and a planeload of brand recognition. Those are exactly the conditions under which one would expect to see a fare premium.

I think there's a bit of an implication here that they should make the deal sweeter as a thanks to their core customers, but that's part of what the loyalty program is for. Free, assigned seats in the "elite section" (if not Premium) is the sweetener, not offering the same fares that they have to offer when they have fewer of those home turf advantages.
Negative framing? It's less than half the cost at cities of similar distance. I'm supposed to be positive about this? I don't need a "sweeter" deal. How about the same you offer others? Or, something not 2.5X what your competition is offering?

I'm just a small business owner and probably don't get all these big-company things but I can't imagine a world in which gouging my core clients is a good long term strategy. Or, if "gouging" is too strong a word. I can't imagine offering my product for 60% less to my non-regulars is going to be perceived very well by my regulars.