FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rental Car Dilemma-Advice Appreciated
View Single Post
Old Apr 18, 2022, 9:12 pm
guv1976
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by canes98
As the OP, I want to say thank you for all the advice. The existing car rental reservation is through Costco travel, which says I can't revise the reservation, I can only cancel and book a brand new reservation with the desired changes.

I have since changed my car rental reservation to both pick up and drop off at SJC, which shaved off most of the price difference, and I am more than happy with that.

I now have a new wrinkle where I need to get from the Kimpton Alton hotel near Fisherman's Wharf area to SJC on a weekday afternoon, with unlimited time and no rush. This is to pick up the car at the beginning of my car rental reservation, not to catch a flight at the end of my trip. It'll be two adults and a teenager with luggage (either 3 carryons or 1 checked bag size and 1 carryon--not sure yet). I have no objection to public transportation for all or part of the journey, but if it will be a horrendous nightmare, I have no objection to paying $100 to $150 for an uber or lyft. Any suggestions on different ways to make this journey and pros and cons of each? Thanks!!
If you're going to take public transportation out of San Francisco, you can consider taking Caltrain. And I would price the rental with a pick up in a place like Santa Clara, with a return to SJC. I'm seeing very good weekly rates (see below) for one-way rentals with Avis/Budget through Costco; I don't know whether they pick up from the Santa Clara train station, but they appear to be just 1.5 miles away from the station.