FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rental Car Dilemma-Advice Appreciated
View Single Post
Old Apr 10, 2022, 8:19 pm
docbert

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by canes98
I have a meeting at UC Santa Cruz that ends at 3:30pm on Sunday, July 17th. My flight out of SJC departs at 8:55pm. Do I have enough time to drive to SFO, drop off my rental car, and then travel to SJC (Uber, Lyft, or Monterey Airbus airport shuttle preferred, but taxi ok)?
Doable, but with risk. Santa Cruz is a popular summer weekend hot-spot, and the roads back from there to the Bay Area will be busy and slow at that time - and all it's going to take is one accident to throw your plans completely out the window. The odds of being able to time the Monterey airport shuttle is basically zero - the only workable departure is 5:30pm from the terminal, which is at least 15-20 minutes (if not more) from pulling into the rental car center, which means you're down to Uber or Lyft which are likely going to cost the best part of $100 for that trip.

One-way rentals from SFO to SJC are variable. Some companies do them at no extra cost, at least for corporate rentals. Others do them, but have a drop fee or a per-mile fee for the entire rental (especially on corporate rates). You may be able to change your drop-off point to SJC beforehand for no charge - or if not you might be able to change it after you've picked up the rental for no cost. Or not...

Other options would be a Lyft or Uber (or even a short one-way rental) to SJC when you arrive, and pickup the car there instead. Or as others have said, fly into SJC or out of SFO instead...