FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition
View Single Post
Old Mar 31, 2022, 6:57 am
Cw novice

Originally Posted by Misco60
I'm not sure that you should be focusing so heavily on the price per tier point, as there are so many other factors to take into consideration.

If you are travelling solely to earn tier points then, yes, the price per point is paramount. (But don't forget to include the costs of positioning flights, hotels, meals and other, unquantifiable, costs such as days off work and time away from the family.) If it's a trip that you would be doing anyway then the price per TP is less important, although it's always worthwhile to try to increase the TPs earned.

And bear in mind that air fares are generally going up at the moment as the world opens up again and the oil price goes through the roof, and it is becoming increasingly difficult to find those fantastic £/TP ratios. If you fancy going to Las Vegas then just go: I recently flew there from Dublin for around £1,300 and earned 640 TPs, which is not the greatest bargain but is still well within the generally agreed definition of a TP run, which is (I think) £3 per TP, and puts you well on the way to Gold.
On this too there's fantastic value in using the BAH promotion and the reduced qualification thresholds to get status. I have a rule that I can't afford to chase status but if I can get a tier point run to fit a holiday I go for it.

The status suits me for the lounge access and especially the free seat selection to grab an exit row seat in Y.

My collection year starts on 09 Sep this year and I managed to use the BA website to book flight and hotel late Sep for the following:

EDI -LHR-JFK-LAX; SEA-PHL-LHR-EDI
This will get me 1280tp
I value the 8 nights hotel at c£1k so the flights are about £1800 which works out to be £1.40tp. But even more than that I get Gold until 31 Oct 2024 then Silver for another year which for £600 per year is fantastic value.

What will I use it for, probably a lot of Y trips to Europe, hopefully via T3 so I can enjoy a lunch in the CX F lounge between flights.

Edited to Add: There's also no positioning required in this for me too so no worries about missing connections or having to B2B