FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Don't be an idiot - BA denys boarding to unmasked flyers
Old Mar 18, 2022, 6:23 am
GBOAC

Originally Posted by Mordac
Can't see anything if I'm wearing one. Have to shout to communicate with other people, and vice versa. Can't see people's facial expressions. Can't see who's talking in social situations. Those are just a few of my reasons. But if you'd actually like to understand more about why some people are so opposed to masks, I recommend this article by Psychiatrist Robert Freudenthal.
Wear a proper mask that seals around your nose, then your glasses won't mist up.
A flight is not really a social situation, and if it helps keep others health, you not being able to have a natter for a few hours is hardly more important than others physical health.

And re your article - its a shame that some psychiatrists become so detached from actual physical medicine that they will have originally trained in (although most of them are slightly cuckoo themselves imho). The fact is that airborne particles are reduced by masks (especially the more robust ones). Evidence might be 'weak' because there are a large number of co-variables to infection (including as noted poverty and health inequality). However basic physics (you know, like the rules that keep our aircraft flying) says that masks will reduce infection by some level as they will stop or greatly reduce the throw of particles. I really don't see why I should be 'open to different perspectives' when those perspectives put me at greater risk of getting ill (and ruining my trip, be it leisure or work, or worse ending up a in government facility), or coming home ill and infecting vulnerable family members....

Put it another aviation analogy- the chances of ditching in sea in an aircraft are very rare. If it happens, there is a high risk that the aircraft will break up on contact with the surface. If it survives, and people get out, there is also a chance they will be vulnerable to freezing waters. You could therefore say that having a lifejacket is irrelevant, as the chances are the aircraft won't crash, or if it does will break up on impact, or people will succumb to cold water. However I'm sure many people would still feel uncomfortable on an overwater flight knowing they did not have a life jacket available. The lifejacket is one part of the 'swiss cheese' to minimise risk. Just like wearing a mask is.