Old Mar 17, 2022, 3:49 pm
fumje
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Definitely different for me! With the UA discount code:

img

Without the UA code:

img

Over $100 cheaper this time with the UA code, and over $100 cheaper than Avis, using their "same" (but different, of course) United FF Discount...

img

All things are equal: Car size/class, pickup date and time, best 'discounts' applied, and no prepaids (never even a consideration for me). Better rates and more of a choice with Hertz! Price and type of car trump any rewards. This is what I get wherever I book, whenever I'm traveling, hence my post above a few minutes ago. Checking the OTA sites, same thing:

img

AND, what I see here is that in this case, Orbitz has a better rate than the United/Avis partnership. In summary, Avis seems to be laying an egg with the UA promotions when it comes to discounts, prices and selection (comparing Hertz giving me cars to choose from versus what Avis assigns).
Thanks, interesting, I was able to replicate. I had given up on it but will keep trying it, then. My experience with the United/Avis partnership is generally not great rates, and sometimes also worse than the OTAs' offerings. So it's good to have another tool, at least sometimes.