FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]
Old Mar 15, 2022, 5:38 pm
Adam1222

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
With all due respect to your steelworker dad, I'm guessing he had a 9-5 job with a good work-life balance. That's not to take away from the back-breaking work, but it means that he can mentally check out after hours.

Most bloggers are on call 24/7 and have a terrible work-life balance. It's something I've struggled with mightily for decades behind the screen and I know others do as well. So it doesnt surprise me that ex-bloggers sleep better and have less anxiety and stress after leaving the field.
I think we can all agree that different kinds of jobs have different kinds of stressors, but it seems a bit tone deaf to say the least to suggest well-paid people who work for large financial services companies from their laptops, in jobs with no consequences for the life and death of others, and with no worker safety concerns (beyond the risk of sexual harassment), have harder jobs than the majority of working people.

Jobs are hard and stressful. That's what makes them jobs. Anyone who can make a living off of blogging about travel really should not be suggesting it is harder than other jobs because it's not 9 to 5. (And no, most manual labor jobs in America are not 9 to 5 either). To suggest blogging somehow weighs on the psyches of bloggers more than other people think about their work is extremely elitist and privileged.