FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta does not want to issue KL-coded flights?
Old Mar 11, 2022, 1:53 am
Utskicat

Programs: AF/KL Gold, DL Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
DL/AF/KLgo by simple policy. Once issued any reissues go by the code originally booked as. I. E. I

f you book with DL, but get AF/KL coded flights, then they'll rebook on those. However if you booked with DL and booked DL coded flights, DL will always rebook with DL coded flights unless not possible.
I've had multiple agents on the reissues and AF/KL JV support desk tell me the last few years that the policy is that during schedule changes and irops, they are supposted to book new flight using Operating carrier code due to JV rules. I've heard it enough times that regardless if this is correct or not, its not something they are just making up, someone has told them that.

This generally happens to me when I tried hard to issue original ticket on AF/KL marketing carrier code and then during rebook, DL wants to change it to DL flight number. Most of the time if I push them and say "honestly, I booked it this way because the earning is better". 8 times out of 10 they begrudgingly agree to do it. So I guess it all depends who you talk to about the policy.

Also, regarding the IATA rule, its technically not overwater, its first international segment. So if you are flying LGA-YYZ-CDG and LGA-YYZ is on delta and the rest is on AF, that meets the standard. Also...for the first time this week I had an issue where DL.com would price a fully AF flight number itinerary but would fail when I when to complete the purchase. I fought with it for a few hours before getting it to work. It was a case of US-CAN-NL. I was able to use all KL flight numbers but I had to route through Canada so that the 1st segment was operated by DL (even though ticket used KL flight number). Then the ticket issued. I could have flown US-NL on delta operated/KL flight number, but I didn't want to. It was an interesting hiccup.