FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Currency Controls
View Single Post
Old Mar 9, 2022, 3:28 pm
OskiBear

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by timbre
I have a mostly curiosity question about the currency controls.

I believe that the Argentinian government has fixed the US Dollar to Arg Peso exchange rate for banks ... meaning that ATM and Credit card transactions are processed at that rate.

I recently attended an event at a hotel ... they quoted me a price in US$ and made me sign a form agreeing to the price. However, when they brought me the bill it was in Arg Pesos ... which, of course, is normal in most countries. However, they used an exchange rate of more than 5% more than the government rate to calculate the amount of Arg Pesos I had to pay. This seems terribly wrong to me. Is this acceptable practice under the government regulations?

It's been a few years since I visited with the great disparity between the official rate versus the blue rate, so my memory is a bit hazy. In the past, i seem to recall bringing USD to exchange at the blue rate (or sending to myself via Xoom) and then paying the hotel bill in ARS after the bill was presented to me in ARS. Is that still the common practice?

Interestingly, my recently made reservation with the Park Hyatt in Buenos Aires had this notation: TOTAL RATE IN SELECTED CURRENCY WILL VARY WITH FLUCTUATIONS IN EXCHANGE RATE