FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)
Old Feb 27, 2022, 7:22 pm
eponymous_coward
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by maverikbc
AS didn't help me getting rebooked at all, even when other partner award seats are available, they wanted the difference in miles and fees (QR j costs a lot more than CX F does), and unwilling to open up revenue seats on other partner airlines. While it was just a bummer to give up my trip, it'd be scary if this happened when I'm trying to go home, and had to scramble with other FFPs or cash fares.
What about QR Y? That’s a refund of miles if there’s saver Y.

This always seems to be the thing, oddly enough nobody who is cashing in AS miles at favorable rates for J/F in their charts wants to accept Y as a potential way to travel in IROPS (and CX has been a continuous disaster this whole time), even though Y’s gotten millions of passengers home over the years. Quite a mystery, that.

(Also, you get the good part of AS having a partner based chart when things are right and CX is a bargain, but AA awards cost identical miles if it’s QR or BA taking you to India, or JL/CX to SE Asia, or whatever…)

I’m not shocked JL did AS a solid, it’s way easier to go “you made a problem for our customer, JL, can you fix it” than for to some other airline and go “CX made a problem for us, QR can you fix it, even though it’s not your problem” or “sure, we’re buying you a J revenue ticket”.