FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 29 Mar 2022 : Introduction of Dynamic award pricing and removal of award chart
Old Feb 26, 2022, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA Au Marriott Ti Hilton C
Originally Posted by randomdude
are you guys keeping track of the devals?
the ones i remember:
- from 1:3 to 1:2 earning ratio on spg cards
- introduction of cat 8
- off peak / regular / peak
- frequent category bump
- removal of non-blackout policy
- and now, dynamic pricing
all that in the span of 3-4y? that hurts
I agree, but I think you missed the worst deval of all, which was the destruction of Travel Packages a few years ago. I realize they lived on until recently, though the value was long gone.

It’s been pretty clear for a while where MR was headed. I had about four million equivalent (MR + SPG) points at the time of the merger and I’ve been burning them ever since. There were many years where Mrs. 1120 and I only booked Marriott properties for both business and personal travel. I’m lifetime Ti and she is lifetime Pt so we are (presumably) the kind of customers that Marriott wants to keep.

Honestly, I’m fine with what they’ve done since it kind of made me remove my blinders and the grass really is greener as a free agent.

I’m down to about 300K points and I’ll see if I can get one more good redemption before the next set of devals.

I love the Hotel Park City (which is on the list) and maybe we can pull off one more trip next ski season with points.

As a final word to Marriott (and yes, I get that they don’t care) I anticipate spending about $40K between hotel and Airbnb this year. Right now, less than $2K of that will go to Marriott.

It was good while it lasted.