FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Miles + $ CoPay Upgrade (refunded if no Polaris segments are upgraded)
Old Feb 14, 2022, 6:05 pm
VRFast

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Originally Posted by mswheeler
I hope this question has not been asked and answered nor that it sounds silly but I am new to the game and haven't found the answer yet after countless deep dives. I am considering booking a Miles + co pay upgrade from premium plus to Polaris for a direct flight from SFO-LHR. I have zero status and so this is the only way for me to try for an upgrade. I have read the language over and over about how you get refunded your miles and co pay if "none of the international premium segments are upgraded." Clarifying question: Hypothetically, does that mean if my outbound segment clears but my return flight upgrade does not, that I will not be refunded anything? In other words, could I potentially have to pay the entire set of miles + co pay if only half of the round trip clears? Thank you to anyone who can clarify.
Upgrades are done per directions, so if you’re buying a Premium Econ ticket and upgrading to Polaris using miles and copay in both directions, you will get a refund for the international segment(s) that is/are not upgraded.